Introducing our new Real MPG iPhone app: Find out more | No thanks

The wheel thing
I drive a SEAT Leon Cupra R with factory 225/40/18Y wheels and tyres. These would be great on a pool table smooth road, however they don't exist in this country and the wheels don't like potholes much, which exist in profusions in this country. What would be the most suitable higher profile replacement? I don't want to make any other changes to the car if at all possible

Asked on 27 February 2010 by H.A., Wiltshire

I don't think smaller wheels (for deeper profile tyres) will clear the brake discs and callipers. I ran a 20VT Sport that was on 16” wheels and rode decently, but simply didn't have enough brakes, which is why they put bigger multi-pot calliper brakes with bigger discs on the Cupra R and needed bigger wheels to accommodate them.