Ambulance chased
Last Monday, my wife was in an accident in her treasured 2004 BMW MINI Cooper. She was struck centre offside by a very sick man driving an Audi A6. We reported it to her insurance company (Zenith) and also the police as she had some injuries. What concerns me is that in the 24 hours after reporting the accident, she received 9 telephone calls and texts from several different companies wanting to collect the car for repair. Further, she had 5 calls from 3 different solicitors wanting to act in any legal damages case. This happened at a bad time and the constant calls were unwelcome intrusions. There must be elderly people in the same position who would find this all very upsetting. How did all these people get our details? Does the insurance company not nominate someone on a rota system?

Asked on 27 February 2010 by P.M., Rochford

This contravenes the Data Protection Act and should be reported to Data Protection. Lucy Bonham Carter of automate.qualityanswers.co.uk tells me that it seems to suggest someone is accessing CUE, the insurers Claims and Underwriting Exchange (which lists pretty much all claims and potential claims made through any insurer in the UK) to solicit injury leads. The call centre prospectors knew the location and date of the "collision" as well as the details of the vehicle plus your contact details. They were soliciting to make personal injury claims as well as tie you into a credit hire agreement. In another example, in the Backroom forum at honestjohn.co.uk a backroomer describes how he was solicited over making a back or neck injury claim where no such injury had taken place. This information would not have been passed on by the Third Party insurer. That case is interesting because he did not report it to his own insurer. Only the Third Party (at fault) insurers were informed. It is clearly not in their interest to pass on information to third parties who would be seeking to encourage claims against themselves. It looks like it might well be a breach of CUE and both the Data Protection and Claims Regulator regulations. All such cases should be reported to the claims regulators: www.www.cueuk.org; www.ico.gov.uk; www.claimsregulation.gov.uk