Honest John launches Real Insurance: Helping you get the best deal. | No thanks

Winter tyres, notifiable modification
I have heard from a colleague that fitting winter tyres is considered a notifiable modification. Do you know if this is true?

In my experience any modificiation notified to an insurer results in an increase in premiums. So if I go to winter tyres, which should help to reduce claims experience, I finish up paying more for reducing the risk. If it is the case, I think, if you are recommending winter tyres, that readers are aware of the need to contact their insurers.

Asked on 20 December 2010 by ITSAHOLDEN

Answered by Lucy
There is loads about this issue on the Honest John website already.