WIN: A mega bundle of Christmas prizes - worth more than £1000! Click here to enter | No thanks

Winter tyres
I am very enthused by the concept you have promoted of winter tyres/steel wheels to cope better with the current conditions. I have looked at your recommended websites but here is my first problem - there are just so many different makes and types of tyre! I have no experience in this area and apart from price (and
I recognise you get what you pay for) how do I make a sensible choice?

My car is a 2008 BMW 525d Touring SE.

My second question is that I have heard comment/rumour to the effect that an insurance company will load the premium - perhaps by as much as 20% as this is a departure from manufacturers' specification, albeit it must be much safer! Should I notify my insurer? If this is common practice and given your undoubted authority can you campaign against what is clearly a somewhat silly policy?

Asked on 18 December 2010 by DJWL, Petworth

You don't have much choice because supplies are very tight. Many suppliers don't have any left.

See:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/20...s

I campaigned against the ridiculous attitude of insurers:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warran...s

And I won:

Dear HJ. Good work on winter tyres! This from the Society of Motor
Manufacturers and Traders:- The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
has today reassured motorists that they will not be affected by increased
car insurance premiums as a result of using winter tyres to improve their
vehicle’s safety during the winter months. Following discussions with the
Association of British Insurers (ABI), SMMT has clarified that the fitment
of winter tyres does not constitute a modification that will affect
premiums. www.smmt.co.uk/articles/article.cfm?articleid=22819

HJ