What is life like with your car? Let us know and win one of three ipads | No thanks

Snow Tyres
I am about to have snow tyres fitted to my Fiat 500 Abarth SS. I have been speaking to an ex AA patrolman and he informs me that I should lower the tyre pressure on my snowies by 7LB in each tyre. Is that the sort of thing to do being a snow tyre virgin?

Asked on 18 December 2010 by Fiat 500 Abarth EsseEsse

No. And better to switch to standard 16" wheels for the winter tyres rather than the blingy 17s. You will probably refer the way the car drives on 16" anyway. has much better grip and steering feel.

See:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/20...s

I campaigned against the ridiculous attitude of insurers:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warran...s

And I won:

Dear HJ. Good work on winter tyres! This from the Society of Motor
Manufacturers and Traders:- The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
has today reassured motorists that they will not be affected by increased
car insurance premiums as a result of using winter tyres to improve their
vehicle’s safety during the winter months. Following discussions with the
Association of British Insurers (ABI), SMMT has clarified that the fitment
of winter tyres does not constitute a modification that will affect
premiums. www.smmt.co.uk/articles/article.cfm?articleid=22819

HJ